During the winter when it gets cold, our backs tend to curve forward and our breathing becomes thin, causing our body’s immune system to weaken. Here’s a good pose for the season that helps strengthen neck muscles and takes weight off the waist. It’s also very good for digestion and helps cure many bowel diseases.
1. Get on your knees on a sticky mat or soft surface.
2. Don't let your heels spread to the side. Keep the top of your foot on the floor and extend your toes.
3. Put your hands on your waist, breathe deeply and expand your chest and back.
4. Push your thighs forward as you slowly arch your back.
5. Breathe deeply and count to 10 from this position.
6. With both hands, reach back to hold your heels and support your back as you arch deeply.
7. Keep your buttocks firm as you go fully into a back bend.
8. Let your pelvis push forward even deeper.
9. Hold the pose for a count of 10 as you breathe.
10. Bring one hand back to your waist, then the other, then slowly return upright and sit slowly.
11. Breathe naturally as you feel the changes taking place in your body.
12. Repeat steps 1 to 11 to your ability without over-straining. Let this pose increase your well being as you enjoy the transition from winter to spring